Sunday, January 2, 2011

Tick-tock, watch the clock!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

"What happened to 2010? It just disappeared!" I'm sure you've heard it, too.

Some say that time is passing by, or even flying by. To me, time is not passing. It's coming. And watch out, for it's coming in abundance!

Since time is not something we can save and put in the bank for later use, how about thinking of time as being in the bank already, with a constant flow into our hands?

One of the most peculiar qualities of time is that it can only be measured by motion. To measure the length of a certain amount of time, I usually need a clock .... and at a second-hand store I found one that was 10 inches (25 cm) in diameter, a perfect size for the clock to hang over the door in my new studio.

The back was easy to remove so I could get the clockwork and glass out. I cleaned both the glass and the metal frame of the clock with rubbing alcohol, then stamped leaves on the glass with a black, solvent based ink. When the ink had dried, I turned the glass over (now working on the surface that would be facing inward). I used alcohol inks on a felt applicator to add color on the reverse side of the leaves.


There are about 2 inches (5 cm) between the glass and the base of the clock, and I love how the stamped leaves throw shadows on the white base.






Here's a side view of the clock where you can see how I decorated the metal frame, using alcohol inks once more. After dabbing some ink on around the entire frame, I let some drops of ink flow freely down the edge. It looked quite "foresty" to me that way.








All stamps used on this clock are from sheet #01 Love Those Leaves. You can see this and all the other sheets at the webstore.


I wish you all a healthy and happy 2011!
And remember: Time is constantly coming, so let's welcome it with open arms! :-)


Your feedback is very much appreciated. Please leave your fingerprints (or type something) in the comment field below. It would be fun to know who stopped by!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love what you've done with this clock, it's beautiful! The metal frame looks amazing with the patterns/colours from the alcohol inks, and your stamps are so delicate-looking on the glass face there.

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete