Friday, November 25, 2011

Altered Tin Box

Before the winter sets in for real over here in Norway, let me show you this tin box that I decorated.

This is what it looked like before:














And the final result:


First, I painted the lid with black acrylic paint.

The squares and rectangles are Stampboards (TM), which I painted with alcohol inks from Ranger (my favorite ink manufacturer!) This is a technique that I learned from Marina Lenzino, who also had an article about it in Rubber Stamp Madness, issue #163, Spring 2009.

Usually when I use alcohol inks, I let the ink drip from the bottle's nozzle. The results can be really stunning, and not knowing what the result will be can be quite fascinating. However, there is another way of doing it that gives you more control (although not a 100%).

(click image to enlarge)



What you'll need: Stampboards, alcohol ink, paint brush, embellishments, patience.

1) Cover a piece of Stampboard with the background colors of your choice. I used Yellow and Red.
2) Squirt some ink onto a palette.
3) Pick the ink up with a small paintbrush.
4) Use the brush to add tiny drops of ink here and there. Repeat with different colors. (I used 3 paintbrushes; one for each color)
5) Stamp on top when the ink is dry.

I adhered the finished pieces of Stampboard to the tin box using magnetic tape. That way, the Stampboards are easy to remove - next time I might want to add pieces painted in winter colors, and I can use these Stampboards elsewhere, perhaps as fridge magnets.

The leaves around the box are stamped on alcohol painted glossy paper and cut out.





I also added some tiny Scrabble letters on the side, some bling, a silk flower and a small heart (brass colored with alcohol inks), and finally glued a ribbon around the edge of the lid.




The stitches on the ribbon were white, so I dyed them with alcohol ink, using the same colors I had used on the Stampboards.


Thanks for looking! Now go paint with your alcohol inks in a well ventilated room! (Optional, but highly recommended...)


:-) Bibi

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful transformation! Using the stampboard pieces is a great idea too and the colours you have used are so vibrant.

    I'm in the process of altering a tin too - it will be a Christmas themed one and filled with Christmas coloured buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you do much, Sherry!

    I will be looking at your blog to see if you post about your Christmas themed tin. Hope so! :-)

    ReplyDelete