Saturday, December 31, 2011

Groovy Growth!


I don't believe in New Year's Resolutions. At least not my own from previous years ... Oh, well. Bygones! Here comes a new year with new possibilities! :-)

Instead of a 2012 resolution, I will follow the advice of a dear friend of mine and pick my own Word of the Year.

In case this is a new concept to you, let me explain: a Word of the Year is a word that will give meaning to you throughout the year. A word that you will look for and pay attention to, a word that will talk to you, a word that will lead you closer to where you want to be, how you want to be, and perhaps whom you want to be.

My 2012 Word of the Year is FOCUS.

I tend to believe that I can multi-task, but the truth it that I suck at it! I wish I would focus on one thing at a time instead of wandering off to my next task before I've finished the first one. I can focus - sometimes I'm even quite good at it, but I want to be better at it much more often ...

What I want is my ability to focus to grow stronger. I guess we all have a personal trait we would love to see growing stronger? (I also want my creative muse to grow bigger so I can find her when she hides under the heap of unfolded clothes in my laundry room ....)

To illustrate growth, I made this card with a sentiment stamp made by the very talented calligrapher Suzanne Cannon, owner of Quietfire Design.








(click photo for larger view)




The observant reader may have noticed that I didn't use any of my own stamps on this card. I wanted to illustrate the sentiment (a quote from the Talmud) with grass ..., but I don't have any grass stamps, so I made some out of paper instead.
Note to self: Look through my pile of nature prints and go ahead and make stamps of some of the grass and straw prints I've made.








To make the grass, I cut some scrap copy paper up on my paper trimmer ...

























...... and then I placed my paper grass onto a sheet of watercolor paper and sprayed over it, using a few colors of Ranger's Adirondack re-inkers mixed with water in small spray bottles. Pretty much any paint or ink mixed with water will work, and spraying the paint/ink onto the paper using an old toothbrush is quite fun!














Remove the paper grass and set aside to dry (on top of a dusty laptop is optional ...LOL). You can use a heat gun to spead up the drying process.


















This is what the watercolor paper looked like when I had removed the paper grass. To make the colors more subtle, I took a roll of paper towel and rolled it over the ink.

I adhered the paper grass to the watercolor paper using a glue stick, then added a panel of matching cardstock underneath, and finally added that to the white base card.

Easy peasy!












If you want to see all of Suzanne's calligraphy stamps, here's the Quietfire website. She has lots of nature quotes that are perfect to use with my nature print stamps, which you can find here at my Etsy store.

I wish you all a Happy New Year, and for whichever Word of the Year you may choose for yourself: Let it grow, let it grow, let it grow! *me singing very prettily*


:-) Bibi

9 comments:

  1. Great card Bibi! It made me think of the one company owner that uses scraps and cuts up his stamped images to make new designs. I can't think of his name at the moment but I can picture him in my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Pamela! I don't think I have heard of that guy. Would be fun to find out who it is! I have cut up a few stamps myself ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Bibi! That should be the next thing to focus on - grass stamps!!! Thanks so much for using the Quietfire rubber!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely- thanks for sharing
    and can I add a sheep or tow to the stamp wish list

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nature print of a sheep, Robyn? You realize Bibi would have to flatten the poor sheepy?!!! Not to mention inking it up.... (Robyn really wants sheep stamps, Bibi!)

    I keep trying to add your project to the Quietfire Facebook page and for some obscure reason, it won't let me. Off to try again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, dear ... My imagination is very vivid, so I see the entire sheep printing process before me now (printing on a bed sheet that I spread out on the grass).

    Thanks for visiting and leaving comments. Good hearing from ya! :-)

    OK, I'm off to focus on grass (I already made stamps from weeds ...*g*)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool grass card :-)
    Great year word :-)

    ReplyDelete