Monday, February 18, 2013

Quote in Journal


A year in the Life of an Art Journal put out a new challenge on February 15th, and the prompt this time was to journal about our favorite quote. I have so many favorites, and the one I chose is actually not among my top 5 .... but it is a quote that spoke to me; and I need to listen to it.....


- Write the book you want to read -





The letters and images are colored in using watercolor pencils and a waterpen. The yellow and orange areas are colored with pastel chalks.

I had measured the watercolor paper incorrectly, so it turned out to be too big to fit in my art journal - but maybe it was meant to be hanging on my wall as a reminder, over the desk where I write instead of hiding inside my art journal.




I used several rubber stamps this time. There are quite a few from Cherry Pie Art Stamps (Shakespeare, pens, old typewriter, ink bottle, ink splatter, the hand holding a pen). The eyes, the scribble text, and the small ink bottle with feather, are all stamps from my first stamp company, Stampinavia, and the rest are stamps I cannot remember where came from. That's the drawback with unmounted stamps, isn't it? For the past few years I have written the company name on the back of the rubber when I buy new stamps, but these ones are old ... from long before I began marking them.

People often ask me if I regret selling Stampinavia back in 2005, and (thankfully) I can say that I don't. I had gone back to college and was swamped with work, and I didn't think it was fair to my stamps that they just sat there while I took a sabbatical, one I didn't even know how long would last while I studied. The company that bought mine (Kreativ Hobby in Larvika, Norway), takes such good care of my line of stamps, and it's always a thrill to see "my" stamps for sale in stores all around :-) I will always be proud of my first line, and I'm especially fond of the Norwegian Santa (fjøsnisse) and petroglyphs (helleristninger), plus the eyes I used in my journal page above (I drew that stamp image, looking at a photo of k.d. lang, so if you're reading this, k.d. (fat chance!), thanks for lending me your glance! :-D)

I'm digressing - let's go back to the art journal prompt for a moment, and some of my favorite quotes:
  • Never look back unless you are planning to go that way. (Touché!)
  • To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts.
  • Leave room in your garden for the faeries to dance.


The latter quote is available as a calligraphy stamp at Quietfire Design, and I want to do a journal page using that quote, too, so stay tuned! 


Thanks for stamping by!

www.etsy.com/shop/NatureRubberStamps




25 comments:

  1. Some people have said that they are unable to leave a comment. I have the settings at "All", so I don't understand why. If anyone knows what the problem could be, please let me know!

    TIA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's see if I can leave a comment Love love love your page, soooo inspiring, so cool!!! I am also a quote-lover and one of my all-time faves is this one: "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." [Douglas Adams] which is a perfect fit for my crazy work as a freelance translator :-) Love and sunshine all the way from Brasil! Cassia xoxo galore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, you managed! :-) Thank you, Cássia!
      I love that deadline quote by Adams (he said/wrote so much quote-worthy!!)

      Delete
  3. Your journal page above is simply amazing! I've always been impressed by your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wonderful Bibi - your writing is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're not only a writer but a fine calligrapher too! You should submit this to Somerset Studio. Very cool and thanks for embellishing with my stamps! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marina! I think it's too late to submit this to Somerset (they want stuff that hasn't been published anywhere before, and I believe that includes blogs). But thanks for thinking it's good enough!!

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much, y'all! :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your page Bibi and what a wonderful idea to place it on the wall for a wonderful reminder.
    I have a journal that I have not worked on for a very long time because life has just gotten in the way. I hope to make time for it again soon.
    Thanks so much for the inspiration.
    Sallyann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sallyann! I hope you will work on your journal again - do let us know if and when you do!

      Delete
  8. I love your journal page, Bibi. I find that I go back and keep looking at it to catch the many details. Thanks for posting it, it IS an inspiration. How long did it take you to do?
    Ditty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ditty! Glad you liked it.
      It's hard to say how much time it took me to make this page as I worked on it during the course of several days, a little now and then. It was good to work slow for a change.

      Delete
  9. Jhone Messinger-DicksonMonday, February 18, 2013

    Beautiful work, Bibi!
    Jhone

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a journaling type person but love seeing what you are doing. Sometimes sizing mistakes really aren't mistakes but a chance to do something different and your wall hanging is a great idea.
    Karen B from RST

    ReplyDelete
  11. The lettering for your art is soooo cool!!! Definitely need to hang that up :)))))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love tis Bibi. Wonderful tips and nice art.
    TFS,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing your story and your wonderful art!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bibi, what a fantastic page. I think it looks great on your wall.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like this quote very much. Often, when I go to bed and look for a book I want to read before sleeping, I think of that what you mentioned "I should write that book I want to read!" And now you have created that quote in such a beautiful way! I think I will print your picture and use it as bookmark if you will approve this! Also many thanks for becoming a follower of my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stefanie! How funny that this is something you often think of when reading a book! Glad you liked my "interpretation" of it :-)

      It's kind of you to ask permission to print it out, and I take it as a big compliment that you'd like to! Due to copyrights and angel policies, I asked Marina, the owner of Cherry Pie, if it would be OK with her (since this piece has several of her stamps on it), and she said that as long as it was for your personal use, it was OK with her. It's the printing and selling/distributing that is a strictly no-no. So please go ahead - print it out and use it as a bookmark.

      XOX,
      Bibi

      Delete
  16. I love that quote and love your page! Thanks for playing along with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Glenda! I'm new at art journaling so it's great to have someone to play along with - and the prompts are such an inspiration!

      Delete