Saturday, July 13, 2013

Studio Make Over


I nearly fainted the other day when my sister told me that she was going to paint her antique plate rack with glossy purple paint! To me, ruining an antique furniture is as bad as committing sacrilege!! I mean, look at this beauty:




It's quite big; 115 cm wide (45 inches).

The patina is just gorgeous:





Luckily, it wasn't hard to persuade my sister not to paint it. It wasn't even hard to convince her that she should give the plate rack to me! OMG! I have been in love with that piece of furniture ever since she bought it 15 years ago or so. And now it's mine! And it's in my studio!! :-D



I decided to put some of my art journal pages on display, a couple of art journal and lettering books I really like, and some other stuff on the lower shelf.


Stamp by Tom Holtz: every possibility begins with the courage to imagine
Antique ink thingie (what IS that called??): better do it now that wish it done




Once I had this beautiful display shelf in place, another furniture caught my attention - not due to its beauty! I've had this small dresser for some time now, never really liked the look of it, but it's practical (on wheels). It was time to do something about it - in a hurry!


This is what it looked like:



I decoupaged it on the side with some pretty paper:




Then started to paint the top ....  If you know how to refinish furniture, you will probably pull your hair when you see what I did. Yes, I used acrylic craft paint! No, I didn't sand the top first! But I had fun, just look at this! 







End result:



 I could not resist the next step because all of the above felt like working on a giant Gelli Plate. I just HAD to make a print!



Pretty cool!





But I was not really happy with the way my dresser had turned out, so I sponged the edges with brown paint (acrylic craft paint again), then decoupaged the top and the drawer fronts. This is what it looks like now, rolled back under the table where it belongs:




While I was at it, I decided to paint the top of our outdoor table white. THIS time I did it correctly; sanded it down real good first, then used paint that is made to withstand the harsh, Norwegian climate.



I will paint the second stroke today, and once that is dry (some time tomorrow), I will decorate the corners by using an old crochet table cloth as a stencil and spray it with brown paint. Yes, I saw that idea on Pinterest!

Stay tuned for more make over photos :-)




12 comments:

  1. Bibi, oh how I love the plate rack. It is such a wonderful way to display your treasured pages. The scissors really were the perfect addition.

    The dresser on wheels... I almost had a heart attack when I saw you squirt paint on the top, hit it with stencils (my stencil is immortalized on your blog!), then I was pleasantly surprised by the doily template. So pretty. You crack me up that you used it as a Gelli Plate. A huge Gelli Plate on wheels. The final product turned out so beautiful. I love the look of it!!!

    Have a great weekend! Hugs, Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, plate rack is what it's called, ey? I will go back and edit my text (plate shelf is the Norwegian term...).

      I knew you'd get a heart attack when you saw what I did to the top! LOL!
      I just didn't feel like sanding and all that ...I wanted a quick fix!
      If I want that paint to stay, I may have to put some sealer over it. We'll see .....

      Love that "bucket stencil" you sent me!!!

      Thank you for the compliments :-) I'm quite happy with the result.

      Great weekend to you, too!
      XOX

      Delete
  2. Bibi, I'm impressed from the plate rack, the dresser, then to the table! It is a beautiful plate rack, I think I would have been saddened to see it painted purple as well .... very nice of your sister to give it up, love how you put it to use, the display is awesome! Now the dresser, are you kidding me - that gelli print is amazing - and the dresser looks like it belongs in your studio now. About the table, I am looking forward to viewing the end results! A great wknd to you Bibi!
    Rose Dunn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose! Yes, it was very nice of my sister to give me the rack. I could hardly believe my luck! :-D
      Thank you for all your kind words <3
      XOX

      Delete
  3. Looks like a girl really had fun! I love the process and how it turned out to look like! And you are so right with the antique rack! The drawer looks very artsy (do you say that?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke, Gabriele! Yes, I had a blast!!
      Artsy would be the right word :-)
      XOX

      Delete
  4. Oh Bibi you have so inspired me! I have a cute little set of drawers that are super UGLY right now and I want to decoupage and paint hit, just like you did, with craft paint and wonderful decoupage paper. Your work is soooo stunning and I love what you did! And the paper rack is incredible, what a wonderful way to display your lovely work and some other treasures. Don't you love that Creative Lettering book? I have it and many other art journal books and I love how you displayed everything. You had such fun and thank you for sharing! I love it all and can't wait to see what else you create!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow - if I can inspire anyone, that's awesome!! I am sure you can turn your ugly drawers into something fun and pretty. Go for it!! :-D
      Yes, I really love that book, lots of great ideas :-))
      Thank you for your great feedback!
      XOX

      Delete
  5. Bibi, I love what you did. I'm so glad you saved the plate rack. And the dresser on wheels... How fun!! I wish I'd been there to play

    Boo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Boo! I wish you were here to play, too! Maybe some day ... :-D
      XOX

      Delete
  6. I am just stopping by to say "hello" and to let you know that your studio make over looks great! The plate rack with your artwork is beautiful and the small dresser looks awesome! Your ideas are wonderful! By the way, ... I still have the little picture with your quote on my desk in the office saying "write the book you want to read" ... I love it and so I printed it month ago and cut it out to see it every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stefanie! Glad you liked my makeover projects.
      I'm so happy to hear that you have my "write the book" picture where you can see it ever day! :-)))

      XOX,
      Bibi

      PS: I was sure I had replied to this comment before ... either it got lost in cyber or somewhere in my head...

      Delete